Ginataang Puso ng Saging

Or Banana Blossoms Cooked in Coconut Milk/Cream

IMG_2208


This is a dish that I really, really love. My grandmother taught me how to cook this dish. I use light canned coconut milk but fresh coconut milk is still the best. I just don’t have the temperament to extract fresh coconut milk. If you want to try this dish, use fresh coconut milk. It tastes and looks way better.

We had this for lunch today. Here’s the recipe.

Ingredients
Banana blossoms/puso ng saging – I believe there is a canned version of this. I used a fresh one so I needed to prepare it.
coconut milk or cream or both
1T of vinegar
salt and pepper
garlic
onions
optional green finger chili

Let’s Cook!

1. First, we need to prepare the puso. If using fresh, discard the outer layers first. Then take off a small portion of the top. Discard that too.  Then slice it into thin circles. As thin as you can. You need a sharp knife in order to do this. Don’t cut until the ends. When it becomes too tough, stop cutting. I usually just use a little over 3/4.

2. Place cut blossoms in a bowl and sprinkle generously with salt. Let it rest for about 15 minutes.

3. Squeeze the sap and salt out of the blossoms. Rinse with water 3 times to get rid of the salt. Some people use a cheesecloth for this step. I just use my hands.

4. In a pan, saute some garlic and onions. When the onions are cooked, add the blossoms.Separate them and cook for around 2 minutes. Add vinegar. Cook for 30 seconds then add coconut milk.

5. Boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Season with pepper. Taste the blossoms first before adding salt as they might already be salty. I also added a green chili to my dish. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until the blossoms are tender. Serve with rice and enjoy! We ate this with chicken adobo and some watermelon slices.

Comments