Chicken and dumplings for lunch



Yesterday was the first time I tried making chicken and dumplings. I just couldn't find a simple recipe for dumplings. Thanks to Ree Drummond, I was finally able to make this dish.

Let's get started.

chicken (I used half a kilo of adobo cut chicken)
salt and pepper
olive oil
butter

carrots
celery
onions
chicken broth or in my case, 2 chicken cubes
water (skip if using broth)
turmeric

For the dumplings:
1 cup flour
1/2c yellow cornmeal
1 heaping tablespoon of baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream


1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1 tablespoon flour

parsley

Let's do this!

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a wok, I added some olive oil and melted some butter. I browned the chicken in this mixture. Set aside. 

In the same wok, add the chopped onions, carrots and celery. Let them cook for about 3 minutes. Add the ground turmeric for some color. Pour 3-4 cups water and add the 2 chicken cubes. Stir. Add the browned chicken. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 20 minutes. 

Meanwhile, let's prepare the dumplings. In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add the milk and cream. Fold the ingredients together. Set aside. 

After 20 minutes, remove the chicken pieces from the top and shred the meat using two forks. Discard the bones and return the chicken meat, skin and all, in the pot. In a bowl, combine the remaining cream, milk and flour. Add this mixture to the pot. 

Drop teaspoons of the dumpling mixture into the pot. I made the mistake of putting big dollops and they became really big. Add some parsley.  Cover and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Turn off the stove and let the soup rest for another 10 minutes before serving. 

I am not a huge fan of slaving away in the kitchen for an hour or more but this dish was totally worth all my efforts. It was so delicious, so flavorful - a real comfort food. 

I would cook this again as my son really liked it. He ate all the veggies, dumplings and chicken in his bowl. I served this with some cold lemonade for him and a salad of mixed greens and sliced green grapes for me. 

Comments